Could You Live on $4 a Day? Take the SNAP Challenge!
Community Food Bank SNAP Challenge 2013
September 3 through September 6, 2013
The Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona will sponsor a SNAP Challenge September 3 through September 6, 2013 during which participants will challenge themselves to live on a budget of $4.00 per day or $16.00 for a four days period. $4.00 per person per day is the average amount of SNAP benefits received by those participating in the program.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps helps over a million Arizona households put food on the table.
While this experience cannot give participants a true sense of living in deep or prolonged poverty, it can provide insight into some of the challenges families confront while trying to live on SNAP benefits.
“By participating in the SNAP Challenge we can better understand the difficulties faced every day by thousands of Arizonans who rely on this program to feed their families,” stated Bill Carnegie, President/CEO of the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona.
Go online to www.cfbsnapchallenge.org, to register, receive more information and share your experiences with others. The Snap Challenge is part of Hunger Action Month and elected officials, journalists, Food Bank board members, staff, volunteers, non-profits and community members are invited to participate.
How can I participate in the SNAP Challenge?
- Register for the 2013 SNAP Challenge online here. Then check your e-mail for blogging information and resources to help you budget your week and stretch your food dollar!
- Purchase food and beverages using your SNAP Challenge budget during the week of September 3-9, 2013. See SNAP Food Guidelines for purchasing foods. We also encourage participants to try to maintain a healthy diet. Please see MyPlate on a SNAP budget link for nutritional guidelines.
- Record spending. All food purchased and eaten during the Experience, including food not permitted to be purchased with your benefit and dining out, must be included in the total spending.
- Eat only food you purchase for the project:
- Avoid consuming food that you already own (this does not include spices or condiments).
- Avoid accepting free food from family, friends, or at work or social gatherings.
- Contribute to the blog by submitting entries online or sending entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. See the Blog Prompts for ideas on how you can contribute. We love photos!
- Spread the word about your experience and post pictures on your Twitter and Facebook accounts! For twitter, tag @foodbanktucson #HungerAction in your tweets.
Hunger Action Month Event!
Take Action During Hunger Action Month.